5.03.2011

Modern Couture for the….Gadgets!

I was so fortunate to receive a snazzy Apple iPad for Christmas, and I’m afraid to say I’ve been toting it around in my hideous black laptop case.  After perusing many sites for the perfect style, I decided to just start piecing together my favorite fabrics….from IKEA of course.  I made the interior with coordinating fleece, and attached an elastic hair band for the closer.  My next step is to sew the buttons on the front and these little sleeves will be complete.  I went ahead and made a few for the kindle/nook as well, same design but smaller scale, as these little guys need covering up as well.  Here are the progress shots:

IMAG0106

IMAG0105

Since mother’s day is around the corner, I thought I would dedicate this recipe to my wonderful Mom.  Even though I still cannot make this bread as delicious as she can, I thought I would pass along one of my favorite sweet recipes to you folks: Monkey Bread.  She never made it for a special occasion or holiday, this was one of those treats that she would make on a summer afternoon “just because”.  I came across this recipe when looking for something new to try with the bread maker and it’s instantly made the recipe box.  Of course you can make the dough by hand or substitute for ready-made buttermilk biscuit dough from the can (but that takes out all the fun).

Monkey Bread (courtesy of http://www.bread-machine-recipes.com)

2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine -- softened
1 cup water
1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins and/or 3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Place yeast, flour, ground cinnamon, salt, white sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and water into the bread pan in the order that is recommended for
the bread maker. Make sure that no liquid comes in contact with the yeast. Select dough cycle and press start.  When dough is complete, place dough on floured surface and knead 10 to 12 times. 

In a medium saucepan on low heat, melt one cup of butter, stir in brown sugar and raisins (1/4 cup of chopped nuts is good too). Stir until smooth. Remove from heat.  Cut dough into 1-inch chunks. Drop one chunk at a time into the butter sugar mixture. Thoroughly coat dough pieces, then layer them loosely in a greased Bundt or tube pan, staggering layers so you're plopping each dough chunk over a space between two below. Let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until dough is just over the top of the pan, 15 to 20 minutes.

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven, place a plate face down in top of the pan and, using oven mitts to hold plate on pan, turn over both until bread slides out onto plate. Serve warm.

This recipe yields 1 loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment